FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 9, 2023
Spanish Fork, Utah — At approximately 10:07 p.m. on Sunday, July 9, 2023, the Spanish Fork Fire & EMS department was dispatched to a residential fire at 112 West 200 North.
The homeowner was arriving home from picking up his granddaughter and noticed the fire burning heavily in the garage. He began evacuating the occupants inside the home as well as the neighbor's home to the west. As the first fire unit arrived on scene, heavy smoke and fire were observed coming from an unattached garage with flames extending into the home.
Fire crews were able to control the fire and contain the damage to a bedroom, mudroom, attic space, and unattached garage. An adjacent home to the West suffered thermal damage to the siding and vinyl fencing.
Spanish Fork Fire & EMS units were assisted by Spanish Fork Police Dept. and Mapleton Fire & Rescue. Three chief officers, 28 firefighters, four engines, and one ladder responded overall to mitigate the incident.
The fire was controlled by crews within 1 hour and 15 minutes of arrival on scene.
Damages are estimated at approximately $200,000. The occupants of the home were displaced and were taken in by family. The cause of the fire was an overloaded electrical chord that was in the unattached garage.
Two individuals were treated by medical personnel for smoke inhalation and one firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion, all were released on scene.
ABOUT SPANISH FORK CITY
Located in southern Utah County, Spanish Fork is the fourth largest city in the county, with over 43,000 residents. Spanish Fork strives to maintain a high quality of life for working, recreating, and living, all while preserving the community’s small-town heritage, making Spanish Fork City the home of pride and progress.
Photos (credit Kyle Webb): Google Folder